Tuesday, May 6, 2014

APRICOT PACHADI


APRICOT PACHADI
When the world is getting crazy with the mango season, I just brought a big bag of apricots! I simply couldn’t resist myself when I saw some fresh apricots at the supermarket. My reason was that since I love the dry ones, I am sure to like the fresh ones too. One bite into the fruit proved me that I was wrong and hubby dear was right. It is as if he seems to know that I won’t like this fruit even before I tried it. The first thought that ran in my mind as soon as I had them were that they are as sour as mangoes, and hence this recipe. The first time we had this pachadi with rice, yogurt, and rasam, which was a delicious combo. This pachadi went well with rotis too. I have used light brown sugar here. Even jaggery or plain sugar can be used. The sugar can be substituted with Splenda or any other artificial sweeteners for health freaks like me :)

INGREDIENTS:
1. Apricots, medium-sized fruits, around 10.
2. Cardamom powder, 1 teaspoon.
3. Light brown sugar, 1 to 1-1/2 cups.

PREPARATION:
The method for cutting an apricot is the same as for cutting a peach or nectarine. Go along the edges with a knife, open the fruit and remove the pit. Chop the fruit into small pieces. I have kept the skin intact, if needed, they can be peeled. Take a pot and add the apricot pieces along with 1 cup of water and the cardamom powder. Let it cook under medium flame for 10-15 minutes until the fruit gets mushy and starts to thicken. Add the light brown sugar and mix well. Let it simmer for 2-3 minutes and switch off the stove. Serve the pachadi with rice, rotis or it can be used as a topping for ice-cream.

VARIATION:
I have not used tadka here. If tadka is preferred, heat a small pot with one tablespoon of oil. When the oil gets hot, add ¼ teaspoon of mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add 1 sprig of curry leaves, 2 red chilies and fry everything for a few seconds. Pour this over the pachadi, mix well, and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment